Dave Shackleford is senior vice president of research and CTO at IANS, and a SANS analyst, instructor and course author. He has consulted with hundreds of organizations in the areas of security, regulatory compliance, and network architecture and engineering. He is a VMware vExpert and has extensive experience designing and configuring secure virtualized infrastructures. He has previously worked as CSO for Configuresoft, CTO for the Center for Internet Security, and as a security architect, analyst and manager for several Fortune 500 companies. Dave is the author of the Sybex book “Virtualization Security: Protecting Virtualized Environments”, and he recently co-authored the first published course on virtualization security for the SANS Institute. He currently serves on the board of directors at the SANS Technology Institute and helps lead the Atlanta chapter of the Cloud Security Alliance.
Do you have a question for our experts?
Contributions from Dave Shackleford
- Use Amazon S3 encryption to secure data in the cloud
- How enterprises can self-manage private cloud security
- Assessing the security of cloud service provider APIs
- To develop secure cloud apps, treat them like Web apps
- Side-channel attacks in the cloud: A cause for concern?
- Prepare for new patching hurdles in cloud environments
- Choosing the right cloud-based DR service
- Cloud logging: Experts assess the options
- Incident management challenges in the cloud
- Intrusion detection in the cloud: Key considerations
- AWS firewall options for cloud network security
- Vertical cloud providers and cloud transparency
- Windows Server 8 Hyper-V security
- Cloud computing threats: Malicious insiders
- Industry groups work to improve cloud transparency
- The SSAE 16 and cloud provider security
- VMware configuration management best practices
- Cloud outages and breaches: Lessons learned
- How to evaluate virtual firewalls
- ESXi firewall functionality in vSphere 5